Special Educational Needs & Disability
Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) at Shalom Noam
We have a statutory duty under the Equality Act 2010 and the National Curriculum to promote full inclusion.
We believe that we are an educationally inclusive school as we are concerned about the teaching and learning, achievements, attitudes and well-being of all our pupils. We aim to provide places for all pupils who express a preference to join this school.
“Teachers are responsible and accountable for the progress and development of the pupils in their class….”(Code of Practice 6.36)
We work hard to offer equality of opportunity and diversity to all groups of pupils within school such as children:
- from both sexes;
- who have Special Educational Needs;
- who are looked after;
- who are gifted and talented;
- who are at risk of disaffection;
- who are young carers;
We aim to provide a happy, healthy and safe school by providing high quality pastoral care, support and guidance by listening to the concerns of children and parents.
We want all our pupils to feel valued, secure and to be given opportunities to learn by providing a differentiated curriculum that caters for the needs of all pupils in both Kodesh and Chol.
We aim to ensure that all pupils have access to all the school's resources and that they have the opportunity to experience success, are treated fairly and that their individual needs are met.
We recognise the importance of early identification and assessment of children with special educational needs and promote a multi-disciplinary approach.
We believe we have a duty to bring together and include all groups within the school and the local community and to invite them to use the school facilities for additional learning opportunities.
The school’s approach to SEN concentrates on raising the aspirations and expectations for all pupils. Our school provides a focus on outcomes for children and young people and utilizes the expertise of support staff to meet their learning social and emotional needs. We actively analyze data to track and monitor pupil progress and to ensure that interventions are effective and have sustainable and noticeable impact. We recognize that we are working in partnership with parents and are receptive to their views, concerns and contributions regarding their children.
For the benefit of all pupils we work closely with the health service, social care, the learning and behaviour support team, and the education social worker.
- To ensure every pupil is provided with equality in everything we provide.
- To identify and provide for pupils who have special educational needs and additional needs.
- To work within the guidance provided in the SEND Code of Practice, 2014.
- To operate a “whole pupil, whole school” approach to the management and provision of support for special educational needs within both the Jewish Studies and secular studies curriculum.
- To provide a Special Educational Needs Co-coordinator (SENCO) who will work with the SEN Inclusion Policy and adapt it for the specific needs of the school.
- To provide support and advice for both Kodesh and Chol staff working with pupils with special educational needs.
- To ensure all children are treated fairly and that their individual needs are met.